Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Whatever gets you through the day...

“Time doesn't. All that Time does is make it more distant, put more space between you and what happened. It doesn't heal anything. I don't know how or what does the healing, but it isn't Time.” - Mercedes Lackey

The last 9 days or so of my life have been...unpleasant.  Scratch that, they've been a clusterfuck of epic proportions.  I never get "sick."  I get run down, tired...I have days where I don't feel my best...but truly sick?  Rarely.  When I do, it usually is a scary thing for me.  I may be a nurse, but, like MOST nurses, I don't deal well with being sick.  I am resistant to seeking care.  So...by the time someone forces me to a doctor or an ER, I'm in trouble. 

This wasn't as dangerous as the time I had strep, fever of 104 and a very angry doctor yelling at me, an asthma patient, for not coming in sooner because my throat was dangerously swollen. 

But, 2 liters of fluid via IV later....

Anyway, I am feeling better, thinking more clearly.  The other stressors going on in my life during this week have been..addressed, and I feel relief.  I am still hurting, but the hurt is lessened, and is being replaced by understanding.  Progress.

Once again, I got lost in someone/something else, and myself took a seat at the back of the bus.  My head...was/is a mess.  I only know of two cures for that, in my world....writing, which is this, and cooking.

Cooking...is a magical thing.  It really is.  Sure, you can ignore the recipe, fly by the seat of your pants and hope it turns out to not be a disaster.   But, there is...comfort in the recipe...the steps you follow.  The measuring, the cutting, the methodical process.  Once you've been someone who cooks for awhile, you can deviate from the recipe with confidence, add your own touch.  You learn to eyeball a measurement without actually breaking out the spoons and cups. 

This is why I love cooking.  It helps me regain my focus.  I haven't really done any cooking since I moved into my apartment.  Not REAL cooking.  I will fix that next week. 

I need to establish a routine again.  Just for awhile.  I need to organize.  :)    Whatever gets you through the day, right? 

I disagree, with the quote I've used.  Time does heal....it's the distance and space it provides that is the healing factor.  Time facilitates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment